We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[OOC] International Standardization Council

The International Standardization Council of the South Pacific would be an intergovernmental organisation composed of member nations with the goal to publicize and promote the use of standards in the South Pacific Pacifica.

This thread is used so we can establish the framework which can be loosely inspired from the works of ISO but not necessarily.

Standards that I believe could be the first mandates of the ISCSP are :

Country codes, (for now only WF members have country codes, so non members could assign themselves country codes within the ISCSP)

Time zones, (I know some work as started but it would be nice to publicize and come to a conclusion)

Any other suggestion really is welcomed.

Discussions need to happen about where it was founded and when.
[-] The following 4 users Like Klô's post:
  • Eoin | Landland, GI-Land, phoenixofthesun14, Qwert

Good idea!

I say we come up with names and adopt basically all real-life standards and customise a few, like those you mentioned. Perhaps it would be best to strike out "of the South Pacific", as these standards would apply to the whole world (even though we don't RP contact with it)?

In addition to the country codes and time zones, I propose we adopt calling codes that are the plot numbers on the regional map, and Internet TLD's (that are the WF country codes?).

Oh, and perhaps we could agree on a currency to be used as a common reference (totally the RL US-Dollar, but maybe under a different name)?

For the founding date, perhaps we could just simply say that "the ISC(SP) was founded in its current form in 20xx when several international bodies were combined...". This way we avoid going to specifics about years and specifying exactly what is in the scope of the ISC(SP) and duck loads of work Happywide

Grovne is of course available again for founding stuff Wink Or maybe somewhere else this time?
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 2 users Like Qwert's post:
  • Klô, rosaferri

I would applaud the creation of a standard time zone; for example I have always used +10 GMT for Kandorith I believe, but we could use PST for example (Pacific Standard Time) Wait.. that's already a real thing... SPT, South Pacific Time or maybe even Main Pacific Time.

A general currency like the dollar would also be something to think about indeed (Although we will be stubborn and compare everything to the Zai because basically the nice equivalent of China! (And we defend ourselves against your oppressive imperialism! Etc!) any-way. I think I could think of a way to value certain stages of economic stats to the equivalent of 1, let's just call it Pacific Dollar for reference right now. Although a lot of work I think it would be quite nice to see a standardized system for currency, time and country codes. This way trade and even correspondence between nations would be way more like real life counter parts. 

Although I think like Qwert said we should avoid the South Pacific as a base, but maybe the continents; or perhaps certain power blocks; this would of course not be for the country codes and currency.

The timeline would be difficult, I think Kandorith for example has about 8,000 years of history? But indeed we could see the South Pacific more as an international body say, like the UN well no we have the WA for that, say the European Union, ASEAN, etc?

Let the good ideas flow!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kandorith's post:
  • rosaferri

To Qwert's comments :

I agree for the South Pacific, thought it was good at the time, without it makes more sense for the RP.

I like the idea for the calling codes, good call Wink !!!

Currency, I remember the discussions, maybe it could be related to a country outside of the South Pacific ? Maybe even related to the name Pacifica ? Throwing some ideas.

That's why I didn't go with the RL founding of the ISO which was in 1947 which would leave a lot of work, but it could make more "sense" for it would've been needed to have standards way before 20XX. So maybe somewhere in between ?

So noting the candidacy of Grovne for the HQ Wink

To Kandorith's comments :

For the time zones we already have a map with UTC times so I was thinking more in terms of Names for the time zones, some have already been agreed upon, so here would be the place to document and publicize them, because I couldn't find them on the Forum so far.

So Pacific Dollar is not a bad idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like Klô's post:
  • GI-Land, rosaferri

Agree with the dollar. We could just state that it is the most widely used currency in the world (so it could be of a non-TSP country).

To Kandorith : there's already the World Forum, the South Pacific works better as a geographical description since not all nations are part of the WF (mine aren't for example).  Wink
Brother Unclepear
Dear Leader of the Voodoo People's Republic of Bruuma

Representing also

El Pollo Diablo
Boss Maximo of the Estado Libre Asociado of Puerto Pollo

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairman Lo Pol
Core Leader of the People's Republic of Kai Fa
[-] The following 3 users Like VPRB's post:
  • GI-Land, Klô, rosaferri

Regarding the telephone codes, I see why you want to do this with plot numbers, but I'd rather would want people to decide this for themselves - if they want +387, they should have the right to have that calling code. Same for +1, if it isn't a code already in use by another nation.

Why? Because some roleplayers already decided on a calling code perhaps before joining our canon rp and such stuff doesn't need much regulation in my opinion. Also it'd maybe be another (even though admittedly minor) reason for nations to choose a certain plot on the map - e.g. because people prefer rather very big or small numbers.

Regarding the currency: I'm in favour of the solution that the currency is one of a canon, big nation, which is not in our region, but somewhere else in Pacifica. On the other hand we could also have some kind of "crypto-currency" instead, which only virtually exists as the guiding index for all of our own currencies.

As for the seat of the ISC: You all know GI-Land is somewhat in the tradition of certain central-European Germanic states and next to punctuality we love some good rules and order, so I'd propose Südtor as seat for the organisation Wink
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 2 users Like GI-Land's post:
  • Klô, rosaferri

I think the ISC is a great idea, especially considering Eggraria in-universe has very very difficult time trying to map its currency to other nations. I personally would really really favour some standardization that we can all play along with.

As for telephone codes, it should be based on the desire of the nation. Especially since many of the nations take up multiple plots, it would be strange for one nation to have 3 different ones.
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 2 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • GI-Land, Klô

Hello everyone,

Ok, so I have done a spreadsheet with the WF Codes and Calling codes (for the WF codes just so that non-members can still have a two and three letter code. I have taken all the information either from the WF threads or the TSP Wiki. Plus some place for the timezones, so far, on the Wiki, only UTC-2, UTC-1 and UTC+2 have been mentioned I believe, unless it's mentioned elsewhere on the forum. People should be able to modify the spreadsheet as they like, especially for the calling codes.

HERE

We also have to settle on founding date, the name of a pacifica currency and on the headquarters, so far Grovne, Sedunn and Südtor, GI-Land have submitted their candidacy. Anyone else ?

I suggest 1957, two years after the end of the Great War, for the founding year.

I can live with Pacific Dollar as the name for the standardized currency.
[-] The following 3 users Like Klô's post:
  • GI-Land, Qwert, Tin the Free

1957 sounds good.

The Pacific Credit is the (soon to be renamed?) currency of Valkyria. Pacific Dollar is maybe a bit too close. Maybe we should just call it the Dollar and use $ as the symbol and not go into further details about origin?

About calling codes, I believe using the plot numbers gives us a robust and simple system. We wouldn't have to maintain a list which has to be updated every time a nation CTEs. If a country is composed of several plots, one can chose which number to use.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 2 users Like Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land, Klô

Well, the list can update itself tbh, if we just add the calling code to the nation survey.
Like I said, I don't really want the currently canon calling codes to change because of what we agree on now. As a compromise: We could use your suggested system, but any rp-er that currently decided on a calling code already, which is different to its plot number can keep their code. So someone decided a year or two ago to have +39 as calling code, but owns plot 044, then they can keep +39 and therefore +44 stays free (e.g. for the person owning plot 039).
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 1 user Likes GI-Land's post:
  • Klô